The Pagoda

6351

The Pagoda, located atop Mt. Penn, is an historical landmark that has served as a shining beacon for Greater Reading for more than 100 years. It is owned, loved and cared for by the city and citizens of Reading, Pennsylvania. This out-of-place and yet extraordinary building has an unforgettable view and is a comforting sight for many, especially the red glow of lights at night.

Due to ongoing building repairs, the inside of the Pagoda building is currently closed for tours. However, the grounds of the Pagoda and parking lot are open from sunrise to sunset.

Commissioned in 1906 at a cost of $50,000 by William A. Witman, Sr. to cover his stone quarry, the Pagoda was completed in 1908. It was originally intended to be a luxury resort atop Mt. Penn, but due to the bank foreclosure and the denial of a liquor license, Witman never opened the Pagoda. By 1910 the Pagoda and surrounding 10 acres were deeded to local business owner, Jonathon Mould and his wife, Julia (Bell). On April 21, 1911 they “sold” the Pagoda to the City of Reading for the sum of $1. Since then the Pagoda has been owned, loved and cared for by the citizens and City of Reading. Read more: readingpagoda.com/history

View the Webcam: pagodaskyline.org/cam2.php

Photo Gallery

Location & Contact

98 Duryea Dr.
Reading, PA
610-655-6271
readingpagoda.com

Get Directions

Previous articleAuthorities Identify Man Fatally Shot by Muhlenberg Township Police
Next articleOpen Call Martial Arts
A big thank you to our local sponsors! Without them, we wouldn't be able to continue producing community news.