Berks County Sheriff Eric Weaknecht says is office has received numerous complaints recently that phone scammers have tried to pose as deputy sheriffs to obtain money.
Sheriff Weaknecht wants to public to know his office will never call and ask for money, and will never call to inform people that they have a warrant for an arrest.
Information related to the phone scams has been turned over to the Berks County District Attorney’s Office for investigation.
Sheriff Weaknecht has these tips for Berks County residents.
- Under no circumstances should a resident ever provide any personal information by phone when receiving any calls unless the resident personally knows the caller.
- Never provide credit card info, social security no., date of birth, bank information to anyone whom the resident does not personally know or with whom a resident has not initiated the call.
- Note any telephone number of the caller, that is indicated on the resident’s telephone system.
- Document the conversation with the suspect making the call.
- Disconnect without providing any information to the caller.
- Call the office of the Berks County Sheriff at (610) 478-6240 if a resident has any concerns that he or she may be a wanted person or to inquire if the office of sheriff has any reason to contact with you.