Berks County Public Libraries held its 17th annual awards celebration at the System Headquarters on Berks Road. The awards honored outstanding library services in addition to individuals and organizations in the community for their support and contributions to the advancement of libraries in Berks County.
System Administrator Amy Resh, welcomed attendees and praised the system’s member libraries for all their hard work and dedication that helped make libraries the community powerhouses they are today.
“A few years ago, the Pennsylvania Library Association began a 21st Century Literacies Initiative called PA Forward,” stated Resh. “It was conceived to give voice to what the library community already knows, and what other states throughout the nation are also recognizing: With the right support, libraries are ideal community centers of information, technology, and learning that will fuel educational and economic opportunity for all of our citizens.”
34 nominations from individuals and groups were submitted this year for consideration in categories such as Outstanding Local Business, Trustee of the Year, and the Dreisbach Award for Exemplary Service, among others. The Berks County Public Libraries Board of Directors selected category winners and presented the awards in front of an audience of nearly 60 people. The award recipients from the 17th annual awards celebration are:
- Dreisbach Award for Exemplary Service—Renee Dietrich, Reading Public Library Trustee
- Trustee of the Year—Joanne Yoder, Kutztown Community Library
- Outstanding Elected Official—Shawn Raup-Konsavage, Mayor of Bernville
- Outstanding Library Director—Melissa Adams, Muhlenberg Community Library
- Outstanding Community Organization—Northern Berks EMS
- Outstanding Local Business—Snapology of Reading and Lancaster PA
- Outstanding Fundraising Effort—Under a Spell at MCL, Muhlenberg Community Library
- Outstanding Program—Explore Earth: Our Changing Planet, Muhlenberg Community Library
- Linda Baer Friend of the Year—Dian Beamesderfer, Friend of the Womelsdorf Community Library
- Chet Hagan Memorial Public Relations Award—Schuylkill Valley Community Library