Kitchen fire in Wernersville ruled accidental, causes $500K in damages

A fire that damaged a Wernersville building with an apartment and two businesses early Sunday morning has been ruled accidental following an investigation by the State Police Fire Marshal.

The fire took place at the rear of 145 W Penn Avenue on the second floor at about 1:39 AM on Sept. 17, after a series of urgent calls to the Berks County 911 Center.

- Advertisement -

Western Berks Fire Department, as well as numerous neighboring fire companies worked quickly to bring the fire under control. Working smoke detectors alerted all occupants and they were able to safely escape. No injuries were reported.

The investigation revealed the fire originated in the rear kitchen area of the second floor apartment due to unattended cooking. The fire is classified as Accidental. Fire extended to and damaged the attached second floor apartment at 147 W Penn Avenue.

- Advertisement -

Both CC’s Pizza and Splurge Bake Shoppe sustained smoke and water damage. Damage to the building is estimated to be in excess of $500,000.

“Working smoke detectors are directly credited with saving the lives of the occupants. This incident is a good reminder for everyone to ensure they have working smoke detectors in their residence and ensure they are working” said Trooper Corey Heimbach.

- Advertisement -
Berks Weekly
Berks Weekly
Berks Weekly is an independent and locally owned digital newspaper covering the City of Reading and Berks County. Subscribe today: berksweekly.com/subscribe
Reading
overcast clouds
49.8 ° F
51.3 °
47.7 °
82 %
0.6mph
100 %
Thu
51 °
Fri
63 °
Sat
58 °
Sun
55 °
Mon
61 °

Latest News

34,851FansLike
93,750FollowersFollow
2,008SubscribersSubscribe