The mission of the former First United Church of Christ in Reading continues. A charitable fund that the church established before closing has awarded 12 grants totaling $36,925.
The First United Church of Christ Mission Fund of Berks County Community Foundation recently released its third annual round of grants.
The beneficiaries were organizations that feed and clothe those in need, provide activities for children and seniors, and make minor home improvements for residents.
In 2017, after 264 years of serving the community, First United Church of Christ closed. The church transferred its endowment to the Community Foundation to continue the church’s mission.
Since the fund was established, it has awarded more than $100,000 in grants to local organizations.
This year, the First UCC Mission Fund committee recommended the following awards.
- $5,000 to Olivet Boys & Girls Club of Reading and Berks County
- $5,000 to New Journey Community Outreach
- $5,000 to The Salvation Army of Reading
- $5,000 to the GoggleWorks Center for the Arts
- $3,000 to Berks Youth Chorus
- $2,975 to Bethany Children’s Home
- $2,500 to St. Paul’s United Church of Christ, Birdsboro
- $2,250 to First Senior Center at St. Peter’s United Church of Christ, Whitfield
- $2,200 to St. Peter’s United Church of Christ, Whitfield
- $2,000 to Berks Arts Council
- $1,000 to City Light Ministry
- $1,000 to Common Ground Recovery Community